Now for the full version:
From time to time, I choose a tagline that defines, hints, markets, as well help people remember what I do. In the past, I used taglines like “Do as a thinker, and think as a doer” and “Innovation via 3D3C.”
Since Jun 2015 the tagline is “Innovating innovating…”
When I reflect on what drives me as well as what drives the world (perhaps what “should drive”) I can definitely say “innovation”.
Innovation is more than just creativity or ideas; it is the realization of these ideas into solutions that create value.
So why the two words – Innovating innovating? It is because Innovation itself is changing. Innovation is being innovated. It needs to be innovated.
What has been innovation for the 20th century is evolving. We need new kinds of innovation, new ways to fund innovation, new platforms for innovation, new government policies, and more.
In this context, my work revolves around the various challenge of Innovating innovating…
- Current focus:
- HK-China Innovation:
- In my work out of Hong Kong, where I’m a visiting professor of Innovation and Venture at the Chinese University Business school, I’m looking at the leadership of innovation as well as working with the local HK/China venture ecosystem. See especially my executive courses on Digital Transformation.
- Under i8.ventures:
- Digital Journey — we are working with leading organizations in their strategic digital journey.
- Launching — develop your setup plan based on your strategy. See digital leadership (or request the paper from us on our contact page)
- Set-up — chart your journey.
- Operation — ongoing work to follow, train, and support your journey.
- Personal Note: Since 1975 (the days of TI-58), I have focused the Strategic Value of Innovation Technology (SVIT) — I mostly look at the relations between the digital forces and innovation as a key strategic force.
- Your action: join the SVIT facebook page.
- Digital leadership courses in Tel Aviv — with Lahav – Tel Aviv University Coller school of management.
- Digital leadership courses in Hong Kong — with Chinese University of Hong Kong Business school.
- Mindfulness leadership — our mindfulness Orange Bike Workshop leadership 4-hr packed workshop.
- i8 Academy — stealth mode (see i8.academy).
- City Level innovation ecosystem — see a short video on Employment Black Holes.
- 3D3C platforms — We focus on the evolving forces of 3D (imaging, printing, augmented, etc.), with 3C Community, Creation, and Commerce. See 2016 Springer book on the matter: Handbook on 3D3C Platforms: Applications and Tools for Three-Dimensional Systems for Community, Creation, and Commerce. (Progress in IS).
- JVWR — We also support JVWR the Journal of Virtual Worlds research, where Prof. Sivan is the Editor in Chief.
- Past focus:
- In Coller Institute of Venture at Tel Aviv University, where I was the executive director, we worked on the global venture ecosystem. We examine the role of ventures. For more information take a look at my paper about the venture ecosystem and other research strands.
- My classic work on knowledge infrastructure (which can be seen as a key to innovation) can be viewed here: Yesha’s Harvard Nine Keys to a Knowledge Infrastructure.
- And my doctorate work at Harvard (which I like very much) about the role of standards, can be seen in this post: Yesha’s Five Dimensions of Standards.
- I chose the upper case “I” to make sure we all know it starts with one person. Innovation is a teamwork, but it starts with a leader who leads the process.
- The second “i” is small. We need to be humble and respect the world around us: partners, employees, shareholders, customers… they are all part of the innovation.
- I chose the “…” at the end to state that innovation (in this case of innovation) is a journey. It takes time and energy. There are new things that cannot be planned for.